Toy Tuesday: Romper Stompers

February 12, 2013

Angie_preschool_balloons_2Today I’m unveiling an exciting new sometimes-weekly segment in which I will spotlight a throwback toy from the 70s and 80s!  And I call it . . .

Toy Tuesday.

Pretty snappy, right?

Eight other names I came up with for the segment that did not make the cut:

(1)  Totally Tubular Toy Tuesday:

(2)  Toys Were Us Tuesday:

(3)  Throwback Toy Tuesday/Thursday (Depending on What I Have on My Schedule on Tuesday or Thursday):

(4)  Remember That One Thing? Tuesday:

(5)  Slightly More Fun Than Sticks and Rocks Tuesday:

(6)  When Lead Was Fun Tuesday:

(7)  Toys That Almost Killed Us Tuesday:

and finally,

(8)  It’s Tuesday:

But there’s more!  I will also be taking your input on toys to feature in future segments.  See that adorable bite-sized comment box way down below?  If it so moves you, please leave a suggested toy feature right there.  Or drop me an email at childhoodrelivedblog@gmail.com.

If I pick your toy idea to feature, I’ll be sure to give you a special shout-out.

But I will not give you a toy.  Repeat.  I will not give you a toy.

Today I’m featuring one of my favorite old toys — Romper Stompers.

What’s that, you ask?

Yes, that’s right — Romper Stompers.

I know, you probably didn’t even know they were called Romper Stompers.

RomperStompers

I personally knew them as “those plastic cup things that you walked about on during nursery school in order to appear taller and intimidate the biters.”  And when I googled that, I learned they were called Romper Stompers.

Not to be confused with Romper Stomper:

RomperStomper_movie

Not to be confused with Romper Room:

RomperRoom

Not to be confused with Romper Brat:

angie_romper

What I loved the most about Romper Stompers is how sometimes one foot (particularly if clad in a wooden-soled clog) would slip right off the front of the cup and sort of launch you to the linoleum floor — in the process, creating an entirely different type of toy.  The hurty variety, if you will.

What I also loved about Romper Stompers is how the foot apparatus appeared to be, quite simply, plain old recycled Parkay margarine tubs, thereby allowing the toy company to capitalize on what children had already been doing for centuries — standing up on random stuff to reach something.

Tony_lightswitch

Romper Stompers, wherever you are, I raise my glass of Tang to you.

RomperStompers

******

Dearest Readers, the video thingy at the end of this blog is an advertisement and not part of the content of Childhood Relived.  These ads help off-set a small portion of the cost of the copious amount of coffee I drink, necessary for writing this blog.

1. February 12, 2013 5:58 am

Nice new feature – it’s really neato!

Sadly, the toys you feature versus the ones I vaguely recall from my childhood will serve to show everyone how much more of a fossil I am than you.

A case in point – the original Mr. Potato Head. It involved sharp spikes on the backs of the facial features. You went to the kitchen to find Mom – that’s where she lived after all – and asked her for a potato. Then you stabbed the features into that actual potato. It was a great toy, because no two potatoes are the same – like snowflakes, only starchier, and because when you tired of hitting Mom up for spuds, you could give your little brother a new nose.

• February 12, 2013 6:35 am

I’m a fossil too. The potato Mr. Potato Heads were way more creative than the plastic one. Except in the movie Toy story. That plastic Mr. Potato Head rocked.

• February 18, 2013 8:43 pm

First off, “neato” is the perfect word choice to describe this toy feature. Little Beaver would approve.

Secondly, I have an old-timer’s classic up for tomorrow. Enjoy.

And finally, I remember playing with a potato. No spiked facial features. Just a potato. How’s that for one-upmanship?

2. February 12, 2013 6:01 am

Ah, yes! My brothers especially loved the hurty variety toys! We had several pairs of Romper Stompers (I also thought they were called Parkay Shoes) Once, I remember mine broke, the plastic cord snapped, so my older brother had a rather lovely weapon at his disposal, a lasso with a tub of parkay at one end he could whip around and hit me in the head with. Oh those were the days! And yes, I ended my sentence with ‘with’!

• February 12, 2013 2:50 pm

by the by…I think this new feature is fantastic. Could you also make sure to incorporate your brother’s droopy dipe photo in every single post? Gee, that would be just swell!

• February 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Are you sure that’s her brother? I thought that was Angie.

• February 18, 2013 8:45 pm

He insists I start paying him royalties for that picture.

• February 18, 2013 8:46 pm

It’s a wonder we survived to adulthood. Your older brother must be a rocket scientist today.

3. February 12, 2013 6:33 am

You won’t believe this, Angie, but Romper Stompers have risen from the dead. I saw them on Sunday in a toy store. I did not buy them. But in this incarnation they are scary. Only this time they are more frightening. Designed to terrify siblings.

Because in addition to the green parkay tubs, they have claws.

• February 18, 2013 8:47 pm

What I could’ve done with those claws.

• February 19, 2013 7:53 pm

You can still get them. Or get them for one of your children. The favorite one of course. The one you want to enable to eat the other.

• February 19, 2013 7:56 pm

You are hilarious! I love your last line.

• February 19, 2013 8:01 pm

It explains why I have only one child.

• February 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Speaker7 describes it as “because I’m not a hoarder.” I like that reason too.

• February 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Perfect.

4. February 12, 2013 6:58 am

I totally remember these. I hated them. I thought they had “safety hazard” written all over them. Actually, maybe they do, but in Chinese.

That Russell Crowe image is puzzling. The mix of tattoos, suspenders and high-waisted pants is very bizarre. I wonder if that film won an Oscar.

• February 12, 2013 7:20 am

I like how at the bottom of the movie poster it explains how the movie is rated R for medium level sex scenes. Medium level. Huh, interesting.

• February 12, 2013 7:23 am

Haha! I didn’t see that. I would love to see the criteria (criterion?) for the varying levels of sex scenes.

5. February 12, 2013 7:06 am

Some toys were not dangerous, just incredibly bizarre, like the life size Barbie head to put makeup on. That was my least favorite toy and was quickly destroyed with permanent marker and scissors. I came to think of it as the Beheaded Barbie, but I was a weird kid.

• February 18, 2013 8:49 pm

The Barbie head freaked me out. So you get her all gussied up for her date with Ken and then she has no limbs or torso to get her there. Tragedy.

6. February 12, 2013 7:08 am

OMG! I LOVED those things! Granted, I only got to play with them at my cousin’s house (she got EVERYTHING, that little bitch! :) ), but they were super fun and dangerous.

As an aside, Romper Room was also my favorite show at the time and I was always so disappointed that the lady never said my name at the beginning. You know when she would say, “I see Charlie, and Mary, and Bobby, and Jake”, etc. Do you remember that part?

• February 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes, loved that part of Romper Room. I was a loyal watcher and never got my name called, which hurt, hurt so bad. I liked the way the eyeglass got this cartoony oil spill looking swirl inside right before she started calling out the kids’ names. You can’t fake that kind of magic in 1981. That was real.

7. February 12, 2013 7:23 am

I LOVED those things. Especially pushing Jonny P. off of them. Whaaat? I was flirting. I totally did not mean for him to bang his head on a desk and have to go to the nurse. (Probably.)

Please oh please, let me write something on Tiffany Taylor. Do you remember her? She was the doll who could be blond or brunette. You just had to spin her skull around! I need to write that piece — and tell you what I did to her! Oy!

Can you write about the Sunshine Family? The creepy androgynous dolls with those big weird eyes? If you do, I’ll link up on the same day!

• February 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Remember Tiffany Taylor came in 2 sizes – normal and ginormous. I thought it would be kinda cool if the top of her head got stuck midway between colors. Those Sunshine Family dolls’ eyes were prone to melting – talk about upping the creep-factor. (BTW, these are way after my childhood, but I used to buy/sell vintage dolls on Ebay).

• February 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I had the ginormous Tiffany Taylor. My parents were so mad at me for… for doing what I did to her.

And I wasn’t allowed to have Barnies, so I had to settle for the creepy Sunshine family. Poop.

• February 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Tiffany Taylor is a mystery to me. I feel deprived just thinking of all the hair changing possibilities I might’ve enjoyed. My friend had a few members of the Sunshine Family and I remember their bodies were creepy and puppet-like. Almost like a ventriloquist dummy.

8. February 12, 2013 8:01 am

Oh wow that is so cute and funny , we didn’t do this :(
    Great blog
    Victoria xx

9. beck16 permalink
    February 12, 2013 9:12 am

This is hilarious! I wish I remembered romper stompers. It might’ve helped me stand up to my older sisters…

One of my favorite toys was a pogo ball (is that what it’s called? I’d insert a photo but I don’t know how…). I was a pro but I always got blisters on my feet because I only wore shoes to church on Sunday.

• Rosie permalink
      February 12, 2013 9:30 am

Are you talking about the Hippity-hop? Some people call them space jumpers? When I was really little I loved my Hippity-hop!

• beck16 permalink
        February 12, 2013 10:08 am

Sounds familiar. It looked alot like Saturn and you had to balance and hop…so probably! Lol

• Rosie permalink
        February 13, 2013 8:55 am

My Hippity-hop didn’t look like Saturn. It had a handle on top, and you sat on the big ball part, with the handle in between your legs and bounced. …I just realized that sounded dirty. It was not. I swear!

• February 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I think they had the hippity-hop balls in my preschool. Didn’t they sometimes have faces on them or even heads? I’m pretty sure they still make those damn things.

• February 18, 2013 9:00 pm

I had a Pogo Ball. It was black with a red rim. I used to practice my Pogo Ball in the basement in my junior high years. And surprisingly, I didn’t get beaten up for it. Maybe the bullies were intimidated by my Pogo Ball. That’s probably it.

10. beck16 permalink
    February 12, 2013 9:14 am

By the way… I’m super stoked about this new segment!!

11. Rosie permalink
    February 12, 2013 9:15 am

When I was a kid I played with the yo-yoball and rubiks twist, not the cube, but the twist that you can make into a dog, or a snake or a gun, etc.

• February 18, 2013 9:10 pm

That twist puzzle thingy was pretty amazing — my brother had it. Black and white, I’m thinking? I don’t remember making it into much more than a ball or a snake though!

February 12, 2013 9:49 am

Ok missy, I think you’ve maxed out your use of my sliding diaper photo! Any more postings and I will require royalty fees.

• February 18, 2013 9:01 pm

That photo could really be incorporated in just about any blog post. I’ll try to work it into my post on View-Masters.

13. February 12, 2013 9:57 am

Oh, so many good toys to feature! I never had the pleasure of playing with Romper Stompers but man, it looks like I missed out…
    Could you do a feature on Polly Pockets?? I don’t mean the boring old ones they have now, but the little ones that lived in a clamshell-type house and were tiny enough for this adult to accidentally swallow. Probably one of my favoritest toys growing up.

• February 18, 2013 9:13 pm

I will have to look into Polly Pockets — I think they must’ve been after my time, which is too bad because who doesn’t love teeny-tiny people?

• February 18, 2013 9:36 pm

I guess they ran from 1989 into the mid-90s so not quite within the time range you mentioned. Five year old Audrey thought they were the bomb!

• February 18, 2013 9:42 pm

My daughter inherited them from her cousin and thinks they’re the bomb too. Is that what the kids are saying these days?

14. February 12, 2013 10:27 am

I’m too old for romper stompers, but I had roller skates that clamped onto your shoes. You tighted them with a key (“I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates’ You’ve got a brand new key…” – that’s a song by Melanie that you may also be too young to remember.) Anyhow, you could never be sure that the skates were really clamped on well enough (especially to your soft Keds), so just when you got a good head of steam, you’d hit a crack in the sidewalk, and instant ‘hurty toy’.

• February 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I misunderstood the skate key concept when I was a kid. I always assumed they were locked onto your feet like handcuffs.

I’m going to blow your mind by saying that I did once skate in those metal adjustable skates before. I don’t remember the key part of it though. I also skated in skates that looked like blue sneakers with wheels. Those things were dinosaurs.

15. February 12, 2013 10:40 am

Loved those Romper Stompers! You could smash the bejesus out of your sibling’s toes with the edges of those puppies. Do you remember Flatsies? and Marvel the Mustang? Two of my favorites from way back. Not nearly as dangerous as Romper Stompers, though. My favorite dangerous toy from childhood: Jarts.

• February 18, 2013 11:05 pm

I recently googled lawn darts (because who doesn’t?) and found out about Jarts. Jarts! I had never heard of this adorable name. Proudly, I had lawn darts as a kid and lived to tell the tale.

16. February 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Toys, toys, toys. There were so many awesome ones from the 80’s. How about Poppols? I think that’s how it’s spelled. It’s a stuff animal that could curl up into something else. I had one that looked like a soccer ball! Or Hungary Hungary Hippos! Or Sit and Spin, or Sit and Vomit. Good timessss!

• February 18, 2013 11:07 pm

I loved my Sit N Spin so much that I bought one for my kids. They use it as a step stool, which is a horrible idea considering it spins.

• February 19, 2013 5:48 am

ha! That’s awesome. It’s all fun and games until someone bashes their head on the coffee table. EEEK!! Sit and Spin always made me feel sick but for some reason you still wanted to do it.

17. February 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Hungry Hungry Hippos. With the marbles. And the Hippos. And one Hippo usually quit eating marbles. And it made a hell of a lot of noise. Also, there was a doll that had a braid that came out of her head – you could yank it out and make it longer and I guess you could shove it back inside her head again.

And Teddy Ruxpin. I never got one of those freak shows, but I wanted one.

• February 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Tressy doll

• February 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes! I had that doll! I used to tie her braid to my Big Wheel and zoom off down the street. Good times.

• February 13, 2013 2:06 pm

I had a Big Wheel too! Loved that thing. We were like this bad ass little street gang on our Big Wheels.

• February 13, 2013 2:22 pm

OH, yeah! I have to say we were all pretty tough with our big wheels, zooming down the hill, throwing down the plastic brake…letting the sparks fly….

• February 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Big Wheels…sometime I need to write about my Big Wheel, which I used to play “Ice Cream Factory.”

• February 18, 2013 2:03 pm

I thought she was the Cinnamon Doll… I was thinking of her when I saw this new feature.
      Loved these things BTW… Used them at preschool – there was a rush for these, as well as those cardboard “blocks” They were painted like a brickwall..

• February 18, 2013 11:09 pm

What was that doll with the braid?! I think my friend Katie owned her. Or maybe I’m mixing it up with the doll whose braid you could twist. Nothing more fun than twisting and pulling hair.

18. February 12, 2013 12:30 pm

I loved Romper Stompers and had many rug burns as a result of slipping off of them, but my favorite toy by far was my Sit and Spin. It was a sad, sad day when I was too big to use it any more. If I spun myself fast enough my parents’ mulitcolored shag rug appeared to be one color. Good times…

• February 18, 2013 11:14 pm

I have great memories of sitting and spinning on linoleum while my mom made dinner in the kitchen. Sit N Spins are alive and well today — my kids have a Spider-Man version.

19. February 12, 2013 1:02 pm

I remember these, but had no idea they were called that, either.

Although, I WAS on Romper Room when I was a kid.

Did I just blow your mind? Yeah.

20. February 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Well, if I’m not mistaken I believe Romper Stompers made their debut on Romper Room. I remember watching Miss Betty way back in the ’60s. One time they had a contest where they would pick a caller and give them all of the Romper Room toys they could name. My sister (with the help of Mom, of course) called in and named nearly every toy they used on Romper Room (after being given cues by Mom). I specifically remember Romper Stompers and also the Do Bee Game. Remember Do Bees and Don’t Bees? But I digress.

Romper Stompers were great and caused many a twisted ankle in our house.

I love Toy Tuesday!

• February 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Do Bees — yes! I remember when the person came out in a bee costume and danced around to the special song. I mistakenly thought his name was Doobie. Big difference.

21. February 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I feel like I need a pair of those to escape your biting…wit! Oh yes. You’re welcome for that one.

This is the perfect new feature, whenever the hell it happens.

• February 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I was just thinking about Lite Brite today. And by that I mean, wishing I still had one. Man, can you imagine? A few drinks, a couple ‘brownies’, 1 Lite Brite, and you have yourself a good freaking time.

• beck16 permalink
        February 13, 2013 11:31 pm

I totally found my old light bright while I was looking through storage for my teddy ruxpin. Yup it still works. Light and all. Score!
        I let my kids play with it for about 2 minutes before I panicked and put it back up. Awesome find!

• February 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Lite Bright! “Lite Bright, Lite Bright, turn on the magic of shining lights….” or something? All I remember is that on the commercial it showed a clown’s face, which scared the crap out of me.

• February 19, 2013 7:10 am

Guess WHAT, Nnng?! I saw Babs yesterday for lunch and she said when she did that recent attic clean out, SHE FOUND OUR LITE BRIGHT! AND IT WORKS!!!!!

I know what I’m doing this weekend. Holy sh*t. I can’t wait.

• February 18, 2013 11:29 pm

This feature will happen whenever the hell I remember it to happen.

22. February 12, 2013 1:49 pm

I’ve got three words for you: Grow. Up. Skipper. Wind her arm around and around and new, little boobies popped out. Just like in real life.

• February 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I still don’t remember this doll, Peg. Maybe I just blacked it out from my memory?

• February 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Heck yeah! Look at the comment right below this – “everyday” was traumatized by that doll, too.

• February 18, 2013 11:19 pm

This can’t be real. Please tell me you’re making this up.

23. February 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Skipper doll! Please do one on her! I had one in the 70’s and you would crank her arm around to make her grow boobs. Then just crank the other way and the boobs would disappear. Totally bizarre and fascinating to me when I was a kid!

• February 18, 2013 11:21 pm

I do not believe this really existed. You all are blowing my mind here. Skipper must’ve been a marketing device manufactured by Tampax.

24. February 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I dug Romper Stompers–the Russell Crowe version obviously. Please do a segment on sit-n-spins even though it brings up painful memories from my childhood. I think it will help me heal.

• February 18, 2013 9:17 pm

I think you need to guest post that one. I recall you have a very beautiful story about your relationship with Sit and Spin and I would never want to take that from you.

25. February 12, 2013 10:14 pm

This is an adorable feature I absolutely loved. Before today, I thought Tuesdays were terrible, a 24-hour glob of meaninglessness to get through before “hump day” Wednesday. I Now, with “Toy Tuesday”, I have a reason to move from my bed (where I sleep) to my recliner (where I read) some time before midnight. Thank you.

As for recommended feature toys, I would really like to discover your take on Rockem’ Sockem’ Robots. I always thought they were pretty cool.

• February 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Aw, I’m so glad that lead-filled plastic can make you feel that much. Thank you for your nice words. Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots — I know exactly what it is but never had the honor of playing with it. In a quick google search, I was pleased to learn that the game is decided after you knock off one of the robots’ heads.

26. February 12, 2013 10:31 pm

How about the original Fisher Price garage with the cranking elevator…I still have nightmares about the constant “ding, ding, ding” it made. I tracked one down on ebay for my son and the elevator still works & still dings 40 years later. :) Remember the horrible grating noise it made if you got a guy stuck in the elevator shaft?

• February 18, 2013 11:25 pm

I remember this garage but the noise is not coming to mind — I think you need to record yourself making that noise and post it for us to hear.

27. February 13, 2013 12:38 am

I always thought those cup thingies were weird. I mean…we made our own out of butter tubs and smushed a lot of them when we got excited and clopped like a horse. The hula hoop is my sacred toy.

• February 18, 2013 11:23 pm

I think they made them out of tin cans originally? The best idea would be to have made them out of suction cups so you could walk up the wall.

Hula hoops are awesome.

28. February 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh, btw, you should check out my 80s workout videos post. Those videos (and spandex) are truly epic. Which reminds me – Exercise Barbie – any of the classic Barbies would do, but the one in spandex would be tops.

• February 18, 2013 11:31 pm

80s workout posts? I will have to look for those! I should search for a picture of my old Miss Piggy aerobics record. Best workout record of all time. Maybe the only workout record of all time?

29. February 13, 2013 9:06 pm

By the time I discovered Romper Stompers, I was a 65 pound, 4-foot-tall 4 year old. No Rompy Stompyness for me…

• February 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Too bad! Tall kids need fun too.

• February 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah, I missed out on a lot of cool toys and experiences due to my “megababy” status. But that’s such a first world problem, some children grew up without love and basic necessities, so I can’t complain about my childhood. I’m glad my growth calmed down and I stopped at 5’10”…except for the size 12W feet. LOL

30. Beth Baldwin permalink
    February 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Oh please tell me you know about clackers or ker-bangers, the two balls on a string that you clacked together bringing endless hours of fun or as a childhood survival tool against your brother!

• February 18, 2013 11:26 pm

I do! I do! I won one at a county fair once. Definitely a great survival tool in sibling warfare.

31. February 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Totally Tubular.

32. February 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Romper Stompers, Pogo Balls, Pogo BLASTERS, and the Skip-It were probably my favourite toys ever. I spent hours watching that counter go up on the Skip-It, and bonus fact: my Pogo Blaster had “Dana L. + Jordan Knight” written on the bottom ball part.

Extra bonus fact: My mom made me write our address on the bottom ball, too, in case the Pogo Blaster ever got lost. Underneath my name, I wrote our address (down to the postal code), and underneath Jordan Knight’s name, I simply wrote “Boston”. Given on how well I knew him (love of ketchup, address in Boston, etc.), it’s no wonder we were a match made in heaven. :)

• February 18, 2013 11:34 pm

What a delightful little added tidbit about Jordan Knight!

What in the world is a Pogo Blaster? I did have a Pogo Ball, which was way fun. I would sometimes balance on it in the basement in front of the television set for an entire episode of Perfect Strangers.

• February 19, 2013 12:11 am

The Pogo Blaster was like a Pogo Ball, except the ball part was more squishy and had a lot more give. Supposedly, you could do regular jumps on a Pogo Ball but catapult yourself into orbit using the Pogo Blaster. My personal experience with both the Ball and the Blaster can confirm that higher jumps were, indeed, more possible on the Blaster.

Pogo Balls in general were great for the core. Didn’t matter to my 9-year old skinny self, but I see things resembling Pogo Balls at the gym now and think ‘wow, I must have had killer abs and amazing balance when I was a kid!’ Today’s Bosu balls must be a revamped version of the Pogo Ball.

33. Emily permalink
    February 19, 2013 10:15 pm

I never had Romper Stompers as a child, as far as I can remember. However, this past summer, my friend Sandra and I started up a sort of “homemade” music camp, and we made our own Romper Stompers out of large cans and string. The kids used them to stomp out the beat of Beethoven’s fifth symphony, while another group played the rhythm on buckets. The purpose of the activity was to show them how Beethoven experienced music by feel, since he was deaf. So, if you’d like to crucify me for turning one of your favourite childhood toys into something educational, then please, feel free.

34. February 27, 2013 3:35 am

Just discovered your blog! What a trip down memory lane. I vividly remember romper stompers and view finders but sadly no Ken dolls with creepy facial hair made it into my toy box! Thanks for the flash back!
    If your interested check out my blog!
    Lisa

35. June 27, 2013 7:34 am

I vote for #7 title! We had these, and I loved them until I slipped clomping through the kitchen on them. Today, they’d probably have silicone non-slip skids on them. I was probably hurt with every toy I had in the 80’s. But I lived limbs and teeth are still unbroken and in tact. Sorry I’ve been away so long. Wish you well!

Trackbacks