It’s not easy being … a Muppet.

April 2, 2012

It’s not easy being green.

That’s what Kermit said anyway.

I wouldn’t pretend to know myself.  Because that’s just insulting to those who are green.  Like I don’t want to be all, “Doesn’t it blow to be green?  Man, I feel for the green ones.  They’re so green and that probably sucks for them.”

Okay, obviously I didn’t get the deeper message.  All I heard was wah-wah-wah-green.  But even as a kid I knew that Kermit felt melancholy.  And I got that he had humility.  And it all seemed so really-really-real and not like the bullshit the other kiddie shows fed you.

Am I getting too heavy here?  Sorry about that.  I thought I’d break from writing on the absurd, fluff topics I normally select and instead write about something more serious, something more from the heart.

Muppets.

For my family’s Saturday Movie Night this weekend, we watched The Muppets.

As a kid I used to watch The Muppet Show.  In syndication.  Nightly.  Right before reruns of Three’s Company.  And I still sometimes watch it.  I have the first three seasons on DVD.

Don’t laugh.  Don’t patronize me.  Don’t even go there.  You think it was childish?  You think it was cute?  You have no idea.  This wasn’t after-kindergarten Sesame Street — this was prime time.   Its fresh musical numbers rivaled Saturday Night Live.  But in the classic ’70s variety show format.  I’m talking cutting-edge!  And I haven’t even yet mentioned the crop of hot guest stars.  Like Deborah Harry, Julie Andrews, Joan Baez, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, Lou Rawls, Liberace, George Burns, Carol Burnett, Harry Belafonte, Steve Martin, Alice Cooper, Gilda Radner, Bob Hope.  Exhale.  To name a few.

Oh, and this freakshow right here whose chest hair gave me nightmares and probably slowed my rate of puberty by at least three years.

I actually thought Elton John was a Muppet.  He looked like Dr. Teeth.  That goes double for John Denver.  I thought he was a Muppet too.  These people never existed to me until their guest appearances on The Muppet Show.  I figured the Muppets were the famous ones.  These two goofballs just got the lucky break of appearing on their show.

For me back then it was all about Piggy.  It was the late ’70s and Miss Piggy was the mascot for the Women’s Movement.  Are you kidding me?  She’d didn’t take crap from anyone, much less a hapless frog.  The woman was a powerhouse.  Albeit a sow.  I had her picture on t-shirts and lunchboxes and stickers.  I even had her lesser-known aerobics workout record.  I recall on the album cover she had on a pair of the tiniest striped legwarmers I’ve ever seen to this day.

What I liked about the new and improved Muppet movie is that it springboards from a simple plot line.  Yes, just back to basics for the ol’ Muppets.  None of those ridiculous story bits.  They didn’t go to Space.  They didn’t Take Manhattan.  They didn’t solve a Great Caper.

Instead, they try to take back their abandoned Muppet Show studio before it’s purchased by an evil oil baron.  See?  Back to basics.

Okay, I’m not stupid.  I was well aware that most of the movie was being purposely played right to my middle-aged, nostalgia-loving heart.  The script practically hard-elbowed aside the young children watching to get at the Gen X parents in tow.  I’m talking plenty of references to ’80s pop culture.  New Coke and Tab, Dirty Dancing, Benson, Nirvana, the robot waiters of my 1981 Sears Wish Book wishes.  Okay, it was borderline pandering.

But then when the Muppet gang gave a smashing rendition of their classic Rainbow Connection?  The same song that my 1st grade music class performed in our cafetheaterasium?  I forgave the pandering.  My eyes were misty.  Okay, misty is an understatement.  I cried.

No, that’s the truth.  I cried.  I cried for 1979-Angie and I cried for 1979-Jim Henson.

I like to think Jim Henson might’ve been watching overhead somewhere.  I think he would’ve been smiling.  I think he would’ve rolled his eyes and then punched himself in the face at the sound of Kermit’s new voice.  But I think he would’ve been smiling at the effort.

Am I crazy?  Am I a Muppet?  Maybe.  If so, might this be me?

Here’s the Oscar-winning Best Original Song from The Muppets movie which begs the question.

1. April 2, 2012 6:16 am

I also used to watch the muppets- every single week- and even went to the movies to see the films! It also gives your post title a new dimention- in (British) English an idiot is often described/called as a muppet…lol!

• April 3, 2012 9:20 am

Now how can an idiot be described as a Muppet? That’s just wrong! I feel for the plight of the Muppets. They get a bad rap. You know, funny you bring this up — I forgot until I wrote this post that The Muppet Show was actually an American-British collaborative effort.

2. April 2, 2012 6:19 am

I love the Muppet Show to a point where I would consider marrying it if it would have me. I feel like I’m most like Beaker and the world is Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. Thanks for the nostalgia.

• April 3, 2012 9:22 am

I think Beaker represents a lot of us societal rejects. I’m proud to be more like Beaker than Bunsen. Translation: Meep meep meep.

3. April 2, 2012 6:36 am

What a wonderful way to start the day. I love the Muppet Show AND the clip. Now the song is stuck in my head and I will be wondering all day if I’m a man or a muppet. So now you’ve added gender confusion to the mix. Thanks, Angie.

• April 3, 2012 9:26 am

Gender confusion aside, so did you ever get it figured out: are you a woman or a Muppet? I’d pay good money for some sort of website where you can upload your photo and Muppetize yourself. I’m certain I’d come out looking just like Prairie Dawn. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Prairie_Dawn

4. April 2, 2012 6:41 am

I too loved the Muppets, but I haven’t seen the movie yet. My husband and I sing the theme song often for our kids. Not really sure how we get on that, but anyhoo, it seems to pop up at unpredictable times and I’m amazed that he remembers so many characters. I really think he could be a good source for you.

• April 3, 2012 9:28 am

Yes, your husband…could he be my intern? I believe you brought him up before — I can’t recall what the nostalgia reference was but you seem to believe him to be something of an expert on the subject. I could use good people like him on my team.

Watch the movie. You won’t be let down.

5. April 2, 2012 6:49 am

I have all three seasons of the Muppet Show, too. Of course, I pretended they were for the kids.

I haven’t seen the new movie, and I’m not actually interested. I don’t think it could be the same.

• April 3, 2012 9:32 am

What’s great is when your kids watch The Muppet Show and say to you, “Mommy, can we watch the one with Miss Bergen (Candice Bergen)” — that’s the way the Muppet gang refer to her. Or “Mommy, can we watch the one with Miss Harper (Valerie Harper).” I love that my kids can now recognize more ’70s icons than I can.

You should really consider watching the movie purely for the old Muppet Show references. If you could sit dry-eyed through Rainbow Connection, then I don’t even know who you are.

• April 3, 2012 10:13 am

Muppets introduced my daughter to Elton John and a whole world of music. And his outfits were a total riot!

• April 3, 2012 10:22 am

So tell me then, was Dr. Teeth supposed to be like an Elton John knock-off or something? Purely from a physical standpoint of course. I’ve always wondered this. At the very least, they shared a wardrobe.

• April 3, 2012 10:58 am

I think so, actually.

6. April 2, 2012 6:56 am

I love the Muppets! My 18 year old bet me I would cry during the movie…I won’t lie…I did tear up during a couple of the old songs…my I cried for joy…at the end…Mahna Mahna is my favorite! I am glad my son had gone to his girlfriends house by that time. My youngest and I really enjoyed watching this movie together. He had never seen the Muppets. (We adopted him!) I can’t wait to share the Muppets with him.
    Peach State

• April 3, 2012 9:34 am

Mahna Mahna (is that its official name?) might be the greatest song ever composed in the history of modern music.

The Muppets should really be a family tradition passed down from generation to generation.

• April 3, 2012 12:49 pm

Mahna Mahna is the official name. Several of my friends and have this song as a ringtone. It has been mentioned many times throughout my blog.
        Peach State

7. April 2, 2012 7:22 am

My husband and I took our daughter to see it in theaters. It was her first ever movie theater experience. She liked it, but Mike and I loved it. I wish the Muppets would come back to primetime.

• April 3, 2012 9:39 am

Yes, the Muppets belong back on television and none of this PBS kids hour crap. They deserve better. I’m glad your daughter saw the Muppets as her first ever movie theater experience. My first ever movie theater experience was Star Wars, and I don’t think I was old enough to relate to anything outside of r2d2 and Princess Leia’s hairmuffs.

8. April 2, 2012 7:57 am

speaker7…lol…and I, if I/we could, would enjoy being your sister-in-law if I could marry Sesame Street….

themiddlestsister…yeah, but…then we would have to share and inform them about how their film generation just doesn’t “get it.” ; )

Still loving this blog – keep up the great work!

(agreed on Beaker and Dr. Honeydew…gotta love…)

• April 3, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks, Katherine. Always a pleasure to have you stop by!

Um, I hate to break it to you and Speaker7 … but I might’ve made out with your boyfriends this weekend.

• April 3, 2012 10:47 am

whaaaaat, what?

ohhh, I get it…we are dating muppets in our middle aged delirum again…

‘scool. I dig.

• April 3, 2012 11:02 am

Sorry, I didn’t see a ring on Sesame Street’s hand when I curled up on the couch with it this weekend I’m glad you’re down with the open relationship thing.

• April 4, 2012 8:31 am

Smack down if you mess with Grover. I started yoga yesterday and am feeling fiesty. Otherwise we’re cool.

• April 6, 2012 5:36 pm

I love Grover and I resent that he’s been unofficially replaced by Elmo for the past decade.

• April 6, 2012 5:52 pm

I do a great Grover imitation – his own mother wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Or his mother ship, maybe. What is he, exactly?

• April 6, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh, Peg. All the fun we could have if we could drink together.

9. April 2, 2012 9:01 am

Another great post, Angie! I hated practicing the piano, but I made sure that I learned “Rainbow Connection” and the “Chariots of Fire Theme Song.”

• April 3, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks, Amy! Ah, the Chariots of Fire theme song. What a sign of the times! Those two songs might’ve even competed against each other for Best Original Song at the Academy Awards. Although, maybe Chariots of Fire would’ve been in the Best Original Score category? Okay, now I’m on a fact-finding mission…

10. April 2, 2012 9:47 am

Oh.M.G. This is AMAZING! You are brilliant! I very nearly wrote a post recently entitled “It’s Not Easy Being Green” but this surpasses it. :) I have a crush on Kermit. Do you think all girls do, or is it just me?

I have a treat for you, as promised: My interview with The Hoff! http://jessseeker.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/face-to-faux-with-the-hoff/

• April 3, 2012 9:48 am

I knew you of anyone would understand my love of Muppets. I hope you’ll still consider an It’s Not Easy Being Green post — I’d love to read it. I’m sure you could put a whole new spin on the hunk of burning love that is Kermit. He just seems so sensitive, doesn’t he? I wonder if he likes tiny kittens and walks on the beach?

Okay, I’m off to read your sure-to-be fabulous interview with The Hoff …

11. Emily permalink
    April 2, 2012 10:16 am

We sang that song in choir my first year at Bishop’s–or, a soloist sang it, while the rest of us harmonized. The theme of the show was “Songs of Colour and Light,” and it was a really cool experience, because we always did like, heavy classical-type music at our Christmas shows, which we all liked (and preferred to Christmas music), but by the time spring came, we were ready for a more “fun” show, with pop music and showtunes and whatnot, and jeans and different-coloured T-shirts instead of formal “concert attire” (black on black, or black with white shirts, depending on what we decided that year), and the hall was always packed–in fact, my last year, we had to move from the music building to the theatre, to fit everyone in. So, thanks for the memory. :)

• April 3, 2012 9:52 am

Rainbow Connection is just a perfect elementary choir song. I actually would be shocked if every elementary school circa 1980 to 1985 didn’t perform some rendition of it.

12. April 2, 2012 11:01 am

I can’t get enough of you Angie. No seriously. I am OBSESSED.

• April 3, 2012 9:54 am

Since I know you live in NYC, I’m going to remember this comment when I visit NYC and show up at your door looking for a free place to crash. “What, oh you were just talking about my blog? You don’t actually want to be my best friend? Um, this is embarrassing…”

13. April 2, 2012 11:28 am

I LOVED that show, and you’re so right – it was great variety show television.

Now that our kids are grown, we can’t go to see movies like The Muppets without looking like a couple of old creeps. Somebody should start a Rent-a-Brat business for people like me who want to go to a Disney movie, amusement park, etc without activating everybody’s Stranger Danger Radar.

I used to ask myself if I was a Pepper. Now, I’m asking if I’m a Muppet.

• April 3, 2012 9:56 am

I have a couple of sometimes-brats you can rent. We should go into business. You have a brilliant entrepreneurial spirit, Peg.

• April 3, 2012 11:42 am

You can take me, Peg! I’ll just need a jumbo-sized slurpee and a big bag of Twizzlers and I’ll be your brat.

• April 3, 2012 12:41 pm

Perhaps I should have clarified that I’m looking for children-brats, not practically ancient-brats. The whole point is to give what they call in the spy business, “believable cover”.

• April 3, 2012 12:59 pm

Day-um. I’ve been called a crappy caption-creater AND an ancient-brat today. You guys are killing my spirit here. I may have to quit blogging for reals, yo.

• April 3, 2012 1:01 pm

Who called you a crappy caption-creator? Who said it? I’ll beat them up for you.

• April 3, 2012 1:08 pm

Y’know, I bet you WOULD kick someone’s ass if I asked you to. This is very valuable information to keep in mind for the future. Thanks, Angie! But no, Elyse was just making fun of me. (sighs, shakes head) I’m used to it.

• April 3, 2012 1:02 pm

I hope you’re not referring to me; I called you a winning caption contest winner. (Not that I’d ever vote for YOU …)

• April 3, 2012 1:03 pm

Phew, I’m glad it wasn’t you, Elyse. I would never want to have to scrap with you.

• April 3, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, and it’s gotten me so very far in life, too! I guess that means I’m one of the geezers in the balcony.

• April 3, 2012 1:07 pm

Oh! I see! I’m the “winning” caption winner! Who only wins cuz GG likes me! (which he totally does, by the way)

• April 3, 2012 1:11 pm

Yup. That means you must have a winning personality, too. It cuts both ways, Darla (short for Darling, no doubt).

I’m just a yankin’ your chain. I don’t want to have to fight Angie-2012.

• April 3, 2012 1:10 pm

uh…none of my lame replies make sense because we’re all commenting at the same time.

• April 3, 2012 1:13 pm

We need a Ouija board.

• April 3, 2012 1:10 pm

Elyse didn’t say you ONLY win because GG likes you. It just might be one factor in the decision, along with mad caption skills. And you can be my brat – I’m running out to buy Slurpees right now. (how’m I doing here? I sure don’t want Angie going all postal on me.)

• April 3, 2012 1:15 pm

You’re safe, Peg. You’re right. GG doesn’t like me at all. It’s just my mad caption skills.

But watch your back. You, too, Elyse. Angie might be hiding in the shadows ready to kick some blogging arse.

• April 3, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks, Peg. I owe you!

• April 3, 2012 1:23 pm

I would LOVE to play Ouija right now. You guys can come over to my place and we can gossip and giggle and stay up all night and hide Peg’s bra in the freezer!

• April 3, 2012 1:42 pm

Ouija board? I’m in! 1989-Angie will come over too. She has no worries since she doesn’t wear a bra.

• April 3, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow. I am laughing so hard right now, thank you, Angie. 1989?! Dang! I was in my second year of college then.
        Tell Elyse I’ll still be her friend, okay? I think she left us to do some actual work at work. I never intended that to happen. Just having a little fun teasin’ that’s all…sigh…

• April 3, 2012 1:52 pm

I just need to work enough to pay my cable bill to allow me to continue to blog. If anybody was really mad it weren’t me. I don’t get mad, you know. Well except at stupid people and you guys don’t count!

But I do have to do real work. Sucks, actually. Even if I am doing drugs.

• April 3, 2012 2:22 pm

Bras and cable bills and drugs. Well, I’m done for the day.

• April 3, 2012 1:12 pm

Ditto

• April 3, 2012 1:18 pm

Running out to get some hired muscle (right after I get your slurpees). Angie looks like she works out.

• April 3, 2012 1:41 pm

You have no worries with messing with 2012-Angie. Now, if you’re talking 1981-Angie? You’re in for it. Watch your shins.

April 2, 2012 11:39 am

My friend and I used to take turns being the Swedish Chef and making the other one laugh. For us kids he and Beaker were the funniest characters – the ones that you couldn’t tell what the hell they were saying. Gonzo was my least fave – that weirdo, freak vulture-like creature with an affinity for chickens. eww…

• April 3, 2012 10:05 am

Yes, the Swedish Chef and Beaker were my all-time favorites in the comedic category. Fozzie Bear annoyed the crap out of me. I was also not a fan of Gonzo and his weird chicken fetish. Creepy. Since I saw most Muppets as people, I thought of Gonzo’s love interest as borderline bestiality. And what in the world was he supposed to be?

I think Sweetums might be my favorite Muppet ever: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sweetums

15. April 2, 2012 12:23 pm

Love the Muppets! especially now that Siegel is a part of it :)

when I read the title I sang in my head The Life of the Pirate and now its stuck LSS :S

• April 3, 2012 10:07 am

I actually just heard Jason Segel decided not to be a part of the next Muppet movie. Big bummer.

16. russelllindsey permalink
    April 2, 2012 5:46 pm

I love the Muppets! I just missed the 70s Muppet Variety Show, but I grew hearing all about it. There are quite a few fans in my family.

Gonna reblog this. I heard nothing but great things about this movie. By the way, do you remember the muppet stuff animals that came around Christmas one year? My sister, my cousins, and I all had them. Lots of fun! Miss Piggy and Kermit were my favs.

Lindsey

• April 3, 2012 10:11 am

I was only a year old when The Muppet Show started. But it stayed on the air until I was six, so I did catch the later shows in real time. But when I was four or five they also started running the old ones every night around 5:00. Watching The Muppet Show became a part of my dinnertime routine. Set the table (maybe), sit down to watch the Muppets on our kitchen’s black-and-white 10″ set, and then eat some form of casserole. Thankfully I never associated The Muppets with casserole.

17. russelllindsey permalink
    April 2, 2012 5:47 pm

Reblogged this on Ramblings of a Misguided Blonde and commented:
    I’ve heard nothing but great things about the new Muppet movie. Another great post by Angie Z. Check it out.

18. April 2, 2012 8:39 pm

My best friend of over 30 years sent me a note minutes after she saw The Muppets with her kids at the theater. The rendition of the Rainbow Connection took her back to when we were kids. I cannot wait until I see the movie – I’ll buy it and watch it at home. And, like you, I have the three seasons of The Muppet Show on DVD. I also have the album (record) from The Muppet Movie.

I’m a bit bummed you failed to mention John Denver in the list of stars. Yes, the list is long, and you were bound to forget several 100, still … John Denver, Angie? You left out John Denver.

• April 3, 2012 10:19 am

Okay, Lenore. I forgive you. I did in fact put John Denver in my post, just under my list of Muppet Show guest stars. In the paragraph where I mention that I thought Elton John was a Muppet? I’m guessing you scrolled down to the photo of Elton John’s ample chest hair and that’s precisely when you blacked-out and weren’t able to read the rest of this post. That’s okay because the exact same thing happened to me when I was editing this.

Forget John Denver? Never! If he wasn’t himself a Muppet, he was at the very least a card-carrying honorary member.

Rainbow Connection might be my favorite childhood song of all time. The more I write about it, the more I want to curl up in a fetal position on the floor and suck my thumb.

• April 3, 2012 10:45 am

Thank you for forgiving me, Angie. It was an honest mistake – an oversight. I’m sorry. I do blame the oversight on Elton John and your reference to his Dr. Teeth resemblance. You nailed it – and it flustered me.

Off to go back to my happy place, listening to Rainbow Connection with the lovers and dreamers and me.

• April 3, 2012 10:59 am

Of course, Lenore. I’m just thrilled that you stop by here at all. And try not to think back to Elton John’s ghastly photo. From my experience, that’ll pull you right out of your happy place.

19. April 2, 2012 10:59 pm

The Muppets are like dancing. You cannot be evil if you like either one of these things. And now that you’ve written about puppets, can you PLEASE get back to the serious subjects for which you are world famous?

• April 3, 2012 10:26 am

I think “Do you like the Muppets?” should be a question we pose to our political candidates. The answer to this question could give us better insights into how they might lead. Not to mention the condition of their souls.

You’re right — back to serious topics now like Rubik’s Cube finger cramps and romper wedgies.

20. John-Paul permalink
    April 3, 2012 4:33 am

Cathy and I took Eleanor to see this movie. I was in love from the opening sequence. I also loved the other big song (Life’s a Happy Song?). Such a great feel. Definitely pandering, but really well done. It made me teary eyed too, like watching Sesame Street again with my daughter and realising Maria was still in it as a lovely, graceful woman who always seems to be dancing. Beautiful.

• April 3, 2012 10:30 am

I loved all the music. Your people done good. I knew Bret McKenzie wouldn’t let me down. I kept hearing the songs and thinking of them being performed on Flight of the Conchords. Man or Muppet most definitely would fit in there.

Maria is my idol. I would follow her to the ends of the earth for the sole reason that she once shamelessly breastfed her daughter on national television.

21. April 3, 2012 11:47 am

Oh, yes! Rainbow Connection. I could never get past the first line without weeping uncontrollably. “what’s on the other side, Kermit?? What?”

For some reason, my favorite muppets were Statler and Waldorf. I have no clue why I can relate to them so much. Could be because I’m ornery or like to heckle people for my own wicked amusement. Whatever. Psbbbtt.

• April 6, 2012 5:51 pm

After writing this post, I realize I should’ve included with it a quiz. Sort of like a bad Cosmo quiz format. “What Muppet are you?” The answers would reveal startling insights into your personality.

Statler and Waldorf are textbook Darla. I don’t need a quiz to tell me that.

• April 6, 2012 7:24 pm

Hahaha! You know what’s a telltale sign I’m Statler and Waldorf? I’m sitting here on a Friday night, responding to your reply.

• April 6, 2012 7:56 pm

Worse is me on a Friday night replying to your reply.

I spotted pictures of you in your new plaid jacket! Smoking hot blazer you got there! Okay, going over to read now…

• April 7, 2012 10:28 am

You’re right, Angie, that is infinitely worse. But not as bad as me coming over here to your blog again to tell you that.

• April 7, 2012 10:38 am

…or me, following YOU over here to watch you tell Angie that.

• April 7, 2012 10:58 am

That is some kind of awesome right there. Thanks for the laugh.

22. April 3, 2012 7:10 pm

Wow, that was a lot of scrolling (through the coments) – thanks for helping me with my workout (isn’t scrolling sort of like running?)! Your post once again makes me realize what I have missed out on growing up without a TV – thank goodness for Childhood Relived!

• April 6, 2012 5:44 pm

That’s one of the reasons why I’m here — to keep you informed on what you missed out on in the 70s and 80s. In fact, I consider it my duty to get you up to speed. You just never know when you’ll find yourself face to face with a bar room trivia night.

Luis might be your personal trainer in the real world, but I’m your personal trainer in the blogosphere.

23. April 4, 2012 8:18 am

I never watched the muppets, dad shakes his head in disappointment whenever this sorry fact comes up.

• April 6, 2012 5:37 pm

What a horrible tragedy to have not grown up with the Muppets!

24. April 4, 2012 1:13 pm

This movie is on my list. My partner and I love the Muppets, grew up with the Muppets, quote the Muppets on a regular basis. My partner identifies with Fozzie and even kinda looks like him (maybe that’s why he grew his beard??!). Wocka-wocka.

• April 6, 2012 5:33 pm

If Fozzie were a person, I think he’d be hot. I’d reckon a cross between Robin Williams and Soupy Sales. If it were Gonzo he resembled, then I’d have to feel horribly sorry for him.

25. April 9, 2012 7:05 am

this is the longest comment marathon I’ve seen yet…how DO you do it?

Yes – good call on Fozzie’s personhood. The tie always did make him person-like, and I maintain a grown up crush on Williams. Off we go now to a Mork and Mindy conversation shall we?

…and on “what was Grover”.(..this tread is so long I can’t find that comment)

I think, (puts on patient voice) that you might be of the post original muppet generation, or you wouldn’t be bothered with that thought.

He’s Grover, everyone’s cheery best friend on the surface, yet manly enough to keep the whole world safe with his humble travels as SuperGrover.

And on Elmo, I know, I respect the guy because he saved my mind on many a day when my two oldest were taking a break from “Rug Rats” which I hated. Babies are scarey enough, but those cartoon diaper dudes, eeks!

MY resentment, I could really lay on the couch and confess this for a long time to you, was the sign language chick that came on the spring of my senior year in college. No joke, I was studying theater and in late that winter I decided to try and get a job that would get me a job on “The Street” as a young sign language gal, I started applying for internships, sat down to my daily macaroni and frozen something crappy for lunch while watching my career goal, and then THAT chick shows up.

I got an internship anyway in NJ but turned it down because…well…based on reflection here…it was just too much hassle to meet up with Grover from a train ride away I guess.

• April 10, 2012 9:01 pm

This is nuthin’, Katherine. Darla of She’s A Maineiac has legendary comment marathons over at her blog. They sometimes go on for weeks.

I think, though I can’t find it now either, that I was debating what sort of thing Gonzo was rather than Grover. I think I can accept Grover is just a furry lovable monster. I loved that dude — whatever happened to him? I think Elmo killed him. But Gonzo was just so oddly odd. Was he some sort of bird? I think I recall him being classified as “a weirdo” on a couple Muppet shows or Muppet movies.

You must watch the documentary Being Elmo. It went to theaters and is now being aired on PBS lately. So good. I have new respect for that little red freak and the amazing guy who puppets him.

Linda? Are you talking about hearing-impaired Linda? I always thought she and Bob had a relationship. Where am I getting this? Maybe I just wished they had. My kids have these ancient Sesame Street books someone found at a garage sale and it has tons of chapters with Linda show signs for things. That sort of fell out of fashion for Sesame or something as I never see signing on there now. Too bad.

26. April 11, 2012 6:42 am

Yes, Linda and Bob were married I think…no I talking about the young chick that came on in 1989 to be exact…I forget her name. She was late teens, early 20’s. Just a young single chick on the scene who could sign. Since there’s never two of anything on that show, I was a little bit let down. Needed an excuse to not do something as frightening as move to NJ anyway.

I can totally accept the “what is gonzo anyway” question – he begs it to be pondered. “weirdo” and proud of it sounds about right.

I wonder why my blog doesn’t draw comments…wonder what I could do to get the conversations going…hmmm…

27. April 14, 2012 10:05 am

…and one more plug on our homies on my post about the letter “m”: http://wp.me/p1Y9V7-cD